Introducing Quinta do Poeta: A New Winery in Douro

By | 19 April 2024

Fausto José dos Santos Júnior (1903-1975), a notable poet, was born in Aldeia de Cima in the Douro. This niche venture is spearheaded by his grandchild Nuno Santos and Nuno’s wife Gabriela.

The Santos family owns vineyards in Douro: The primary source of white vines is a 2.5 ha expanse at 620 m in Aldeia de Cima, complemented by a vast 15 ha vineyard elevated at 350-450 m in Aldeia de Baixo.

Earlier, Gabriela was associated with Niepoort. She initiated this project in 2021, featuring the vineyards jointly owned with her husband.

Segredos do Poeta Branco 2021
Viosinho, Arinto and Alvarinho cultivated at 620 m on schist and granite soils. Fermented in Stainless steel reserves. It exhibits invigorating, radiant, and lemon-influenced notes with distinct fruit focus. Ends on a mildly chalky note. Commendable purity capped by remarkable acidity. Scores 90/100.

Quinta do Poeta Branco 2022
Comprising 25% from high altitude vineyards and the remaining 75% from an old vineyard situated at 450 m. This is barrel fermented which imparts lovely acidity with richly linear, fresh citrus fruit. It is sunny and bright, exhibiting nice precision and a hint of salinity on the finish. The score is an impressive 93/100.

Quinta do Poeta Rosé 2021
This rosé constitutes 25% barrel-fermentation. Exhibits a pale salmon pink tint. It is light in style with a subtle touch of mandarin and a hint of creamy notes. Scored at 88/100.

Segredos do Poeta Tinto 2021
Sourced from a north-facing old vineyard in Vale Mendiz. This is a beautifully blended field that includes Touriga Franca and Rufete in decent proportions. After processing in a Lagar, it’s stored in barrels, giving it a juicy, bright, and focused flavor profile, overflowing with pure red cherry and plum fruit. It has an enlivening brightness, energy, and freshness, scoring 93/100.

Quinta do Poeta 2021
Containing 13% alcohol, this blend has 10% Sousão and is aged for 20 months in used barrels. It’s deep in colour and boasts a lovely weight. It’s exceptionally fresh with commendable acid structure and a substantial load of fruit. This fine wine also presents marvellous finesse, brightness, and a well expressed personality, deservedly scoring 94/100.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *